Friday, May 6, 2011

Highway robbery and shrimp fest!

What is the world coming to when you call Honda to ask how much a key to a van will cost and they tell you it's going to cost $150?! How utterly ridiculous is that? I wanted to key to the van so Mom and I wouldn't have to switch off all the time. Once I told Dad how much it was going to cost, he just gave me his key. He doesn't drive the van anyway. I still can't believe that! $150! Ok, moving on...

Onto Shrimp Fest. Now I'm sure it doesn't make any sense that I'm talking about a special at Red Lobster, but it will in a minute. Just hang with me for a second.
So when I was 16 I had clam chowder for the first time in years. I didn't like it when I was little and I never ate it, but we went to this restaurant that Dad said had amazing clam chowder, so I tried it and found that I really liked it. That same night Mom had me try some of her oyster stew (which is gross, by the way). Well halfway into the meal I started coughing uncontrollably. I tried going outside for fresh air, but it didn't work. Later, after we had left I had a funny spasm feeling in my chest, but I didn't think anything of it.  Mom and I talked it over and thought that maybe I had an allergic reaction. We tested it again later, I ate some clam chowder and waited to see what would happen. I could feel my throat closing... so Dad had me eat something spicy. Well, we decided that since I had eaten lobster, crab and shrimp my entire life, that I must be allergic to bivalves (aka: clams, oysters, mussels). So, I continued on with my life, staying far away from bivalves and happily eating other shelfish. But, this story has far from a happy ending. My mom, dad, fiance (then boyfriend) and I went out to eat at a nice Japanese restaurant. (I hadn't eating any shelfish in several months, but my bivalves allergy had gotten worse, cross contamination would set it off.) So I start eating the food that the chef put on my plate and my throat closes up. Long story short, my reaction grew to include all shelfish! Now I can't eat any at all! It's really quite depressing! I can't eat anything cross contaminated with shelfish either. It is so sooo sad! So, what has this to do with Red Lobster? Well just think about it... its a restaurant devoted to a food type I can't eat! And recently it's been playing commercials for their Shrimp Fest! How unfair is that?! I think I'm going to go contact the guy who owns Red Lobster and complain now.

P.S. I forgot! I took second place in Jocee's photo challenge.  I am honored! Oh, and surprised! It certainly wasn't my best picture ever!

2 comments:

  1. I would hate to be allergic to seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a bummer to not be able to eat something you really like...

    I would comment more often, but I've been fairly busy recently. :(

    ReplyDelete

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I love to read what ya'll have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!!!
Have a wonderfully blessed day!