Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hunger Games Cast?

Sometimes you just have to wonder if the people who are casting movies based off books have ever actually read the books! Now there are a few movies where I thought the casting was pretty good in: Star Trek(2009), Jane Eyre(2006), X-Men: First Class and such but the cast for Hunger Games? Not my favorite and all I can hope is that the actors prove to be good actors. I'll list the cast first, then I'll list who I might have cast instead.

Katniss Everdeen:
Meet Jennifer Lawrence.
In my opinion, Miss Lawrence is much, much too sophisticated looking to be Katness, plus it looks as though they are trying to make Katness seductive, which she most certainly IS NOT. And Jennifer is too old to be Katniss. But on the other hand I completely hate the idea of Emma Watson being Katniss, so I suppose Jennifer is the lesser of two evils (I can't stand Emma Watson). 

Gale Hawthorne:
Meet Liam Hemsworth.
By far the worst cast character in the entire movie. I admit, I don't like Jennifer for Katniss... I think the casting crew were trying too hard to make Katniss seductive and therefore lost Katniss in the midst of everything. But seriously, Mr. Hemsworth for Gale?! I couldn't stand Liam's acting job in The Last Song (and it wasn't just because Miley Cyrus was there). Plus, Liam doesn't look mean enough to be Gale.
I'm sorry, but I just really don't like the idea of Liam in the movie - at all!

Peeta Mellark:
Meet Josh Hutcherson.
At first I thought "NOOO"! I couldn't help it. I still see Mr. Hutcherson as the skinny, squeaky, little nephew in Journey to the Center of the Earth. But, I saw a picture of him taken during the filming of The Hunger Games movie, and he's not so skinny anymore. In fact, his build is similar to what I imagined Peeta's to be. So, overall I actually like this choice. May I just say I am very happy they didn't cast Alex Pettyfer? I am. Alex Pettyfer is very, very good looking and an amazing actor, but he is NOT Peeta.

President Snow:
Meet Donald Sutherland.
I didn't really think about who to cast for President Snow, but Mr. Sutherland doesn't look anything like my mental picture of him. I sorta pictured him short-ish, round-ish and sorta crazy. I really don't know how I would have cast him at all, but the minute I saw "Donald Sutherland" I shouted with pure joy. I absolutely LOVE Donald Sutherland... He is just great. Now I've changed my mental picture of President Snow to match Donald Sutherland.

Effie Trinket:
Meet Elizabeth Banks.
She'll do for Effie I guess. I haven't seen her in much, so I'm not sure. She played in the Spiderman movies, but I don't really remember her... Of course, I hated the Spiderman movies and have blocked most of that torture on film out of my mind.

Now I could go on and on about casting choices I hate (see Lenny Kravitz for Cinna and the fact they completely left Venia out of the movie)... But I'll move on to choices I would have made.

Katniss Everdeen: 
Meet Haileee Steinfeld.
Sure, Miss Stenfeld is pretty, but her features are nearly identical to how Katniss is described in the book. Plus you can make her look plainer (see True Grit). I think she would be an amazing Katniss.

Gale Hawthorne:
Meet Chace Crawford (thanks Stephanie for bringing him to my attention).
I think he would make a rather good Gale. I've never actually seen Mr. Crawford act, but if he is a good actor, then I think he would be a great choice. Well, except his eyes are blue :)

Effie Trinket:
Meet Judy Greer.
I think she would have been perfect! I love her parts in movies (see The Wedding Planner and 27 Dresses) and she would be amazing...

As for President Snow and Peeta, I am happy. I wont go into the nitty gritty of how everyone on the movie should have been cast, that would just be boring. Oh, I like who they cast as Haymitch Abernathy... at least, I think I do.

Your Opinionated,
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Hunger Games, but I agree with you. I just adore Hailee Steinfeld, and she's probably one of the most pure young women in Hollywood. As for Peeta, I would love William Moseley, of course, I am partial to him. But the people they have chosen for the Hunger Games, even though I don't know much about it, they could've done much better. The end.
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not too excited about their choices! I think the guy playing Gale has potential in the role...but I just don't see any of the others :( except the woman playing Effie...she's almost exactly like my mental image! I guess we'll just have to see how it all turns out!
    ~Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocee: Leave it to you to pick William Moseley! I don't think you'd pick him at Peeta if you'd read the book though.

    Lauren:
    I think who they picked as Effie is ok, having not seen her in much of anything else, I can't really say.

    ReplyDelete

I am glad you stopped by my blog! I love to read what ya'll have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!!!
Have a wonderfully blessed day!